4 Days Up & Down Sirimon Route
A 4 Days /3nights Mount Kenya trek route which is more scenic than Naromoru and it is on the dry side of mountain which offers some of the finest walking. Climb up through forest into a wide ridge approach to the summit area. The route starts on the northwest side of the mountain near Nanyuki. Access is adequate and the bunk house facilities are the best on this side of the mountain
Full Safari Itinerary
Day 1: Nairobi – Sirimon gate - Old Moses Camp
Depart from Nairobi at 8 am to the western slopes of Mt Kenya Nanyuki town for lunch, taking about 4 hours. After lunch is a full briefing and equipment check before we begin the mountain trek - we’ll meet the crew at this point, each one has a personal porter and there are extra porters for mountain equipment and food. It takes about one hour to get to the Sirimon Park Gate (2600m) crossing the equator en-route. On completion of park entry formalities, you begin a 3-4 hour hike through forest, bamboo, rosewood and heather zones to Old Moses camp (3300m). Today we gain 740m on the ascent and begin to truly acclimatize. The forest and bamboo are home to hundreds of buffaloes, elephants, bushbucks and a plethora of bird species.
Accommodation: Old Moses camp/ Judmaier Camp (3340m).
Meals Plan: Lunch, Dinner
Day 2: Old Moses Camp - Shipton’s Camp
After an early breakfast, we commence a 7-8 hours trek to Shipton's camp (4,236m). Today's trek is long and interesting but also a good test on individual fitness. You’ll ascent close to 900m going up the surreal Mackinder Valley with its strange vegetation of giant lobelia and groundsel, unique to equatorial African mountains.
Accommodation: Shipton's hut (4236m)
Meals Plan: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
Day 3: Shipton’s Camp - Point Lenana - Old Moses Camp
Predawn attempt of the summit starts 3 a.m and you hike for about 3 hours up screes and a bare rocky track to reach the hikers summit, Pt Lenana at 4,985m in time to witness the African Sunrise as it reflects its golden glow on the Majestic peaks of Batian and Nelion over the equator at 6.30 am – to add to the exhilaration, Kilimanjaro is usually visible 340kms to the south on a clear day. Then descend down back to Shipton’s camp for breakfast then continue the descent to Old Moses Camp (3340m)
arriving in a further 4-5 hours.
Meals Plan: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
Day 4: Old Moses - Sirimon Park Gate - Nairobi
After breakfast, descend through the rain forest to Sirimon Park Gate. At the Sirimon Gate, we will sign out and meet our vehicle as we bid farewell to Mount Kenya connecting with our transport back to Nanyuki and onwards to Nairobi.
Meals Plan: Breakfast, Lunch
Need To Know
What's included & excluded in the price?
TOUR PRICE INCLUDES
- Guarantee price/guarantee trek on confirmation
- Full board accommodation whilst on the trek.
- Transfer to/from the base of the mountain gates
- Start and finish Nairobi
- Service of an English speaking professional guide, porters and skilled cook
- All park entrance fees to include government taxes, camping fees, and park rescue fees
- Park certified guides (ratio of 1:4) and assistant guides/company reps
- Porters and cooks, plus equipment for them
- All group camping equipment including sleeping tents
- Meals plan as detailed: B=Breakfast, L=Lunch, and D=Dinner
- Treated water on the trek
TOUR PRICE EXCLUDE
- International flights
- Kenyan Visa, purchased on arrival
- Laundry, sleeping bags, beverages/Drinks, accommodation before the trek and climbing gears
- Vaccinations and malaria tablets
- Personal expenses
- Items of personal nature
- Travel insurance
- Tips paid only to main guide for distribution to Porters and cooks
- Any other extras not detailed in the above itinerary