Primates and Plains: A 9-Day Expedition through Uganda's Wildlife Paradises
Full Safari Itinerary
Day 1: Arrival in Entebbe/Kampala
Upon your arrival at Entebbe International Airport or Kampala, our friendly team will greet you and transfer you to your accommodation. Take some time to relax, savor the local hospitality, and prepare for the adventure that lies ahead.
Day 2: Kidepo Valley National Park
Embark on a scenic flight to the remote and untouched Kidepo Valley National Park. Nestled amidst rugged mountains and vast savannah plains, this hidden gem offers a unique safari experience. Enjoy thrilling game drives, guided by expert rangers who will help you spot an array of wildlife, including lions, giraffes, elephants, zebras, and a myriad of bird species. Marvel at the dramatic landscapes and immerse yourself in the raw beauty of this pristine wilderness.
Day 3: Kidepo Valley National Park
Continue your exploration of Kidepo Valley National Park, immersing yourself in its awe-inspiring wonders. Venture deeper into the park, discovering hidden corners and encountering more magnificent wildlife. Take in the breathtaking views, capture incredible photographs, and create lasting memories of your encounters with the untamed African wilderness.
Day 4: Ziwa Rhino Sanctuary
Travel to the Ziwa Rhino Sanctuary, a vital conservation area dedicated to protecting the endangered rhinoceros species. Embark on an exciting walking safari, accompanied by experienced rangers who will guide you through the sanctuary's lush landscapes. Get up close to these majestic creatures, observe their natural behaviors, and learn about the conservation efforts aimed at their preservation. This is a rare opportunity to witness the power and grace of these remarkable animals.
Day 5: Kibale National Park
Venture deep into the verdant rainforests of Kibale National Park, renowned as the primate capital of the world. Embark on an unforgettable chimpanzee trekking experience, led by expert guides who will take you through the dense foliage in search of our closest relatives. Observe chimpanzee troops in their natural habitat, marvel at their intelligence and agility, and learn about their fascinating behaviors. Along the way, keep an eye out for other primate species such as red colobus monkeys and grey-cheeked mangabeys, as well as a plethora of bird species that fill the air with their melodious calls. Immerse yourself in the sights and sounds of this enchanting forest.
Day 6: Kibale National Park
Continue your exploration of Kibale National Park, delving deeper into its diverse ecosystems. Embark on guided nature walks, allowing you to discover the park's hidden gems and encounter its rich biodiversity up close. Marvel at the intricate web of life as you spot colorful butterflies, hear the chorus of birdsong, and encounter various plant species. You may also have the opportunity to visit local communities, gaining insights into their traditional way of life and cultural practices. This day offers a chance to connect with nature and local communities on a deeper level.
Day 7: Queen Elizabeth National Park
Proceed to Queen Elizabeth National Park, a haven for wildlife diversity and stunning landscapes. Set out on thrilling game drives across the park's vast savannahs, led by experienced guides who will navigate you to prime wildlife viewing locations. Keep your camera ready as you spot lions lazing under the African sun, elephants parading through the grasslands, and herds of buffalos grazing peacefully. The park is also known for its abundant birdlife, so birdwatching enthusiasts will be in for a treat. In the afternoon, embark on a captivating boat cruise along the Kazinga Channel, where you can witness hippos wallowing in the water, Nile crocodiles basking on the riverbanks, and a plethora of bird species soaring above.
Day 8: Queen Elizabeth National Park
Savor another exhilarating day in Queen Elizabeth National Park, exploring its diverse landscapes and encountering more captivating wildlife. Embark on additional game drives, venturing into different areas of the park to maximize your chances of spotting elusive predators and other remarkable creatures. With luck, you may even have a rare sighting of a leopard stealthily traversing the terrain. As the day draws to a close, take in the magnificent sunset over the savannah, reflecting on the incredible experiences and encounters you've had throughout your safari journey.
Day 9: Departure
Bid farewell to the stunning wilderness of Uganda as you depart for Entebbe or Kampala. Reflect on the unforgettable memories and remarkable wildlife encounters you've experienced during your Primates and Plains safari. Depart with a newfound appreciation for Uganda's natural wonders, carrying the spirit of adventure and conservation within you.
- Accommodation: Enjoy comfortable and well-appointed lodges or tented camps throughout your safari, providing a cozy retreat after a day of exploration.
- Meals: Indulge in delicious and wholesome meals, including breakfast, lunch, and dinner, prepared with fresh local ingredients.
- Park Entrance Fees: All necessary park entrance fees are included, allowing unrestricted access to the national parks and wildlife reserves.
- Professional Guide Services: Benefit from the expertise of experienced guides who will accompany you throughout the safari, sharing their knowledge and ensuring your safety.
- Ground Transportation: Enjoy seamless transfers and transportation between destinations in comfortable vehicles equipped for safari drives.
- Chimpanzee Tracking Permits: Permits for chimpanzee trekking in Kibale National Park are included, giving you the opportunity to observe these incredible primates up close.
- Airport Transfers: Hassle-free airport transfers upon arrival and departure in Entebbe or Kampala are provided for your convenience.
- International Flights: The safari package does not include international flights to and from Uganda. You are responsible for booking your own flights.
- Visas: Obtain the necessary visa for entry into Uganda in advance or upon arrival at your own expense.
- Travel Insurance: It is highly recommended to have travel insurance that covers medical expenses, trip cancellation, and personal belongings.
- Personal Expenses: Any personal expenses, such as souvenirs, additional activities, and drinks outside of included meals, are not covered.
- Gratuities: Tipping for guides, drivers, and lodge staff is at your discretion and not included in the safari package.
- Additional Activities: Optional activities not mentioned in the itinerary may incur extra costs.
Recommendations for Activities:
- Guided Nature Walks: Take advantage of guided nature walks to explore the diverse ecosystems, learn about different flora and fauna, and appreciate the smaller wonders of the parks.
- Nocturnal Game Drives: Consider joining a nocturnal game drive for a chance to spot elusive nocturnal creatures and witness the parks' transformation under the moonlit sky.
- Bird Watching: Uganda is a bird lover's paradise, so bring your binoculars and enjoy exceptional birdwatching opportunities during the safari.
- Cultural Visits: Engage with local communities through cultural visits, where you can learn about their traditional lifestyles, crafts, and customs. This provides a deeper understanding of the region's rich cultural heritage.
What to Pack:
- Comfortable Clothing: Pack lightweight and breathable clothing, including long-sleeved shirts and pants for protection against insects and the sun. Layering is recommended for varying temperatures.
- Sturdy Footwear: Bring comfortable walking shoes or hiking boots suitable for nature walks and trekking.
- Hat and Sunglasses: Protect yourself from the sun's rays with a wide-brimmed hat and sunglasses.
- Binoculars and Camera: Enhance your wildlife viewing experience by bringing binoculars and a camera to capture the incredible moments.
- Insect Repellent: Carry insect repellent with a high concentration of DEET to protect against mosquitoes and other insects.
- Sunscreen and Sunblock: Apply sunscreen with a high SPF and bring sunblock to shield your skin from the sun's rays.
- Personal Medications: If you have any specific medications or medical conditions, ensure you have an ample supply of necessary medications.
- Daypack: A small backpack or daypack will be useful for carrying essentials during game drives and nature walks.